New This Year
- First authors that are enrolled in an educational program will be required to submit their program director’s contact information:
- Program Director Name
- Program Type
- Program Institution
- Program Director Email Address
- An Ethics tab that includes a mandatory ethics statement for abstract and case report submitters to complete on behalf of all authors associated with the report.
- Inside the abstract and case report submissions landing page is an ethical statement you must confirm before you start the submission process.
- Abstracts, case reports, and/or data previously presented or published nationally or internationally are not allowed.
- Abstracts and case reports presented at an SCCM chapter meeting are allowed.
- Abstracts and case reports may contain new research on a topic presented previously.
- Submission of an abstract or case report constitutes a commitment by the author(s) to present the abstract or case report as accepted.
- Stimulating and unique abstracts or case reports will be considered for the 2021 Congress program.
Alterations and Withdrawals
- Abstracts and case reports will be scored on the following criteria:
- Scientific merit
- Adequate sample size and proper statistical analysis
- Adherence to instructions
- Originality of work
Accepted abstracts and case reports will be published as submitted in the January supplement to the journal Critical Care Medicine
. SCCM does not edit or proof abstracts or case reports. By saving each step you complete in the submission process, you can log off and return to continue your work at another time. Until you formally submit the abstract or case report (by selecting the “Yes, I’m ready to submit” link), you can edit and revise it online as much as you wish. Once it is formally submitted, corrections cannot be made. If changes to a submission are needed, you must withdraw it and create a new, revised submission. No edits or corrections can be made once the supplemental journal is published.
Submissions may be withdrawn until 12:00 noon Central Time on October 23, 2020. All withdrawals must be submitted via Forms
The contact author will be notified in October 2020 via email of the submission’s acceptance or rejection. Please ensure that the contact author’s email address is included with the submission. All notifications and correspondence will be directed to the contact author indicated in the submission. It is the responsibility of the submitting author to confirm that all author email addresses are current at the time of submission to ensure that any notifications sent from SCCM are received. All decisions made by the Congress Program Committee are final.
Complimentary Congress Registration
Complimentary registration will be offered only to the first author who is an SCCM member and a sponsored fellow or healthcare professional (dietician, nurse, pharmacist, or respiratory therapist). Post-training attending physicians and authors submitting case reports are ineligible. If you are not currently a member and would like to become eligible for complimentary registration, join SCCM online, using your Customer ID and password, no later than August 3, 2020. Decisions will be communicated by October 2020.
- Nonmembers are required to pay a $25 nonrefundable submission fee per abstract or case report submission.
- Expenses associated with abstract or case report preparation, submission, and presentation are the responsibility of the presenter(s)/author(s).
- Authors of accepted abstracts and case reports are expected to register for Congress and pay the registration fee, unless they apply for, and qualify for, complimentary registration.
- August 3, 2020, 12:00 noon Central Time: General submission deadline.
- October 2020: Notification of submission acceptance sent electronically to contact author.
- October 23, 2020, 12:00 noon Central Time: Deadline to withdraw submissions. Notification to withdraw submissions must be received via Forms