The principal investigator must be a current SCCM member and must maintain SCCM membership throughout the life of the grant. Applications are encouraged from both junior and established investigators. Junior investigators (defined as those having no prior independent National Institutes of Health [NIH] funding of R01 or equivalent within 10 years of finishing their training) may request independent support or may include a research mentor who is also an SCCM member and can demonstrate strong research credentials in the areas of clinical and outcomes research.
The application must be completed by the applicant, not by the mentor. The applicant must provide the following information. When completing your application, please note the character limits shown on the application. For complete checklist, please visit MySCCM.org
- Applicant’s title and institution (include current institution and institution where proposed research will take place)
- Title of the proposed research
- Current research (project title, source, years, and amount funded)
- Other funding that has been secured or applied for to support this research activity
- Abstract (brief description)
- Whether applicant is an established or junior investigator (junior investigators are defined as those having no prior independent NIH funding of R01 or equivalent within 10 years of finishing their training). If applicant is an established investigator, to be eligible for a Discovery grant, include plan of engagement of junior investigator in the study.
- Administrative official to be notified if award is made (official’s title, address, and phone number)
- Attestation that none of the investigators has any conflict of interest to this application
Completed application must include these documents as attachments in PDF format:
1. Research Application (not to exceed 6 pages, Arial font, size 11pt or larger):
- Study Purpose and Specfic Aims
- Background and significance
- Preliminary data, if any
- Research design/methods, to include:
- Sample (size, size justification, and inclusion/exclusion criteria)
- Methods to achieve each specific aim
- Evaluation plan
- Institutional review board (IRB) status
2. Curriculum vitae/biographical sketch (not to exceed 3 pages), to include:
- Education and training
- Research experience
- Publications written by both applicant and mentor that are relevant to the proposed research
- Personal statement (why your experience and qualifications make you well-suited to your role in the proposed research)
- Positions and honors
- Selected peer-reviewed publications relevant to the proposed research (published or in press only, no more than 15 publications)
3. Justified budget: Use the budget template available to download through the application portal. Include budget requirements.
4. Bibliography (not to exceed 75 sources).
Overview of modifications: If you are resubmitting a previous grant application, submit a one-page overview of the recommended modifications made to the original grant proposal.
1. Publications list (optional): Submit a list of up to 5 publications from either applicant’s or mentor’s previous work.
2. IRB letter, if applicable
3. For junior investigators (required if you are applying as a junior researcher who is including an SCCM member as research mentor, but optional if you are submitting as a junior independent researcher):
- Letter from mentor indicating that the mentor is prepared to provide adequate time to personally train you in the methods of scientific research (if applicable), that the mentor has prior experience with research fellows, and that the mentor has subsequent achievements as an independent investigator (if possible)
- Statement from department/division head indicating that sufficient time to perform the proposed work will be protected from other clinical or administrative responsibilities
- Two to four letters of recommendation from current or prior mentors, research advisors, or clinical professors
4. Discovery Grant Eligibility
Resubmission of Previously Submitted Grant Applications
- To be eligible for a Discovery grant, include plan of engagement of junior investigator in the study. (only required for senior investigators to complete [limit 250 words]
- To be eligible for a Discovery grant, include future plan for extramural funding for the study. [limit 250 words]
- Include how this proposal would facilitate extramural funding for future multicenter studies involving Discovery. [limit 250 words]
Any grant proposal that was previously submitted for any SCCM grant and not selected may be resubmitted twice, with indication given that the proposal is a resubmission. Proposals may be submitted a total of three times. A one-page overview of the recommended modifications made to the original proposal must precede the body of the proposal. This one-page overview does not count as part of the body of the proposal.