ICU Design Citation
This award honors a critical care unit that combines functional ICU design with the humanitarian delivery of critical care. Conceived to identify and recognize a critical care unit already in operation whose design demonstrates attention to both functional and humanitarian issues, the Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM), the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN), and the American Institute of Architects Academy on Architecture for Health co-sponsor this citation. The winner receives a plaque and one complimentary registration to the annual meetings of each of SCCM and AACN.
Deadline and Submission
Only units in operation at the time the application is submitted will be considered. If you have any questions, contact Carol Prendergast.
The applicaton period will open soon. Applications are due August 15
Submit the information below to:
Society of Critical Care Medicine
500 Midway Drive
Mount Prospect, Illinois 60056-5811 USA
- $250 application fee
- One copy of the release statement.
- Seven copies of the fact sheet.
- Seven copies of a one page list of the unique or innovative features of the unit and how they meet the selection criteria.
- Seven copies (format 11"x17") of each of the following drawings: (Please indicate scale)
- An architectural floor plan of the unit alone drawn to scale, with rooms labeled according to function.
- A second sheet showing a plan of a typical patient room layout (front of room and interior), complete with furnishings and equipment.
- A third sheet showing the block building floor plan depicting access to the unit and how it relates to other services. (These are the only physical drawings that will be considered. Do not send information such as the mechanical, electrical and plumbing blueprints.)
- One copy of a digital architectural drawing (.dwg format) of the unit alone, drawn to full scale, with rooms labeled (in English) according to function (do not include institutes name).
- A photograph or rendering image of a typical patient room, complete with furnishings (include front of room and interior).
- Video Requirements:
- Video format: .mp4
- Video resolution: 1280x720 pixels
- Video file size: not greater than 100MB
Provide link to download a 4-7 minute professional quality video tour of the unit in either the full or compact size (.mp4 format). Do not send CD/DVD/Flash Drive. Narration describing functionality is important. For judging purposes, the institution/unit must remain anonymous. We recommend that the video showcase the entire unit, for example, the patient rooms, staff work areas, amenities for families, etc., and depict real patient situations or activities. We also recommend that explanations of unique uses and design features are emphasized and that describing the obvious, common features or manufactured equipment items be avoided. All the judges are familiar with standard unit usage, equipment and structure.
Critieria and Notfication
The citation is awarded to the entry that best resolves both functional and humanitarian issues in a unique and complimentary manner. The focus is on planning and design characteristics rather than process or administrative features. Units are reviewed in a blinded fashion according to the following criteria:
- Demonstrates commitment to creating a healing environment
- Demonstrates commitment to promoting safety and security
- Demonstrates commitment to efficiency
- Demonstrates attention to innovative, unique aesthetic and creative design features
The patient bedside area, overall units design, integration of technology, staff/support areas, and family/waiting areas also are assessed.
Citation recipients will be notified in November.