The Burchardi Award, sponsored by the Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists (SOCCA) and the Society of Critical Care Medicine’s (SCCM) Anesthesiology Section, is named after Hilmar Burchardi, MD. Burchardi was a pioneer in the field, a revered teacher and founding member of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine, presiding over the organization from 1998 to 2000. The award was first established and presented to Burchardi in 2002 at the Critical Care Congress.
The award is presented every two years (in odd years), alternately at an SOCCA or SCCM event.
The applicaton period will open soon. Applications are due August 1.
One letter of nomination and two letters of support, preferably from members of the sponsoring societies, must be submitted. Self-nomination is accepted.
- Be an anesthesia-based intensivist, who has been practicing for at least 12 years
- Hold a leadership position in at least one of the established national or international critical care societies/organizations
- Have made considerable contributions to the specialty, not necessarily in terms of research, but especially in terms of ability to motivate and connect with people
- Have leadership qualities defined by competence, humility, humanity and a sense of humor
- Be a member of at least one, but preferably both, sponsoring organizations
Notification and Process
Letters of support will be reviewed by the president of SOCCA and to the chair of the SCCM Anesthesiology Section. Respective boards from each of the organizations deliberate and vote on the matter in October.
Contact Carol Prendergast for more information.